Monday, January 21, 2013

Layered tortilla casserole

My ambition for culinary projects seems to dwindle by the day, so if I look at a recipe and deem that it's going to take genuine effort to prepare, I will take a pass on it.  So, when I come across a recipe that's easy and satisfying, it's definitely a keeper.

The spousal equivalent was out of town last week, so I decided to make this tried-and-true recipe.  It makes a good amount, so I had the brilliant idea of halving the original.  Unfortunately, I seem to screw up every time I do that and end up putting in the full amount of one ingredient or another.  But I think this recipe is blunder-proof, given that the ingredients in any proportion will go together and taste good.  This time it was a little "softer" than it would be had I done things correctly, but still delicious.  Served up with a side of steamed kale topped with Bragg's Liquid Aminos.



Recipe from Quick-Fix Vegetarian

Ingredients:

  • 1 24-ounce jar tomato salsa
  • 8 flour tortillas (I use corn tortillas because they're less "gummy")
  • 2 16-ounce cans refried beans
  • 1 cup shredded soy Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 ripe Hass avocado
  • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

  • Directions:

    Preheat oven to 350°F.
    Spread a thin layer of salsa in a lightly oiled shallow baking dish.
    Arrange 4 of the tortillas on top, overlapping as needed.
    In a bowl, combine the refried beans with 1 cup of the salsa, stirring to blend well.
    Spread the bean and salsa mixture over the tortillas and top with ½ cup of the shredded cheese.
    Arrange the remaining 4 tortillas over the cheese and top with a layer of salsa.
    Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top. Cover and bake until hot, about 30 minutes.
    While the casserole is baking, halve and pit the avocado and spoon the flesh into a bowl. Mash the avocado with the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste (I also add garlic powder and onion powder).
    Serve with the casserole.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment