Monday, February 3, 2014

Cincinnati Skyline Chili

This is one of the dishes I turn to when I want an easy, cheap, filling dinner.  I have a couple of go-to recipes for this, and tonight I went with Happy Herbivore's version from The Happy Herbivore Cookbook.  I never had the "authentic," meat-based version of Cincinnati Chili, but there's something about the sweetness combined with the spicy that I find really appealing.  I make this dish every couple of months year-round and it's a definite favorite that never fails to satisfy.

I can't find an online version of the recipe but here's a variant.

I also tried a new sour cream recipe and found it to be delicious.  It has a cashew base rather than a tofu base, which I much prefer.  I wish I could remember where I got this one, but alas, I cannot.  So here you go:

Vegan Sour Cream

1 cup raw cashews, soaked and rinsed well

¼ cup water

¼ tsp salt

1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar

½ -1 lemon juiced


Drain and rinse your cashew really, really well! Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Slowly add more lemon juice to taste, and water until desired consistency is reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment