Monday, March 11, 2013

Chicken and wild rice soup

It will take weeks for me to adjust to the time change.  Hate it.  And just when I was enjoying the early morning light, it's gone again for the next month or two.  And more evening light gives me less of an excuse to toil away in the kitchen.  But, the weather still doesn't allow for too many outdoor adventures, so in the meantime I will content myself with my NEW cookbooks.

I made Chicken and Wild Rice Soup tonight from Betty Goes Vegan.


Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
  • 2 Cups Vegan Chicken (I used Gardein.)
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Cup Wild Rice (cooked )
  • 5 Cups Better Than Bouillon - Vegetable (made per instructions on the package)
  • 1 Cup Carrots (sliced into coins)
  • 1 Cup Celery (sliced)
  • 1 Small Red Onion (chopped)
  • 1 Cup Frozen Peas
  • 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Oregano (dried)
  • 1 Teaspoon Thyme (dried)
  • 2 Bay Leaves (dried)
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed (dried)
  • Dash of Black Pepper

Heat oven to 350. In a glass baking dish, toss the defrosted Vegan Chicken and Olive Oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping once to make sure they cook evenly. Once they are brown and a little crispy, remove from the oven. Then let them cool.

In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the remaining ingredients on a medium heat until they boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer.

To serve, slice or chop your Vegan Chicken and then divide into 4-6 servings. It depends how much Vegan Chicken you want in each bowl. Fill your soup bowl 3/4 of the way with Soup and then toss on serving of Vegan Chicken in. Stir.
Delicious and comforting!  The only modification I made was leaving out the peas--because I didn't have any on hand and do not love peas in the first place.

We are getting snow this evening, which was not in the forecast.  But, not a surprise, given that the catastrophic snow event that was forecasted for last weekend did not come to pass, so this must be payback.  It was mere coincidence that I made this soup tonight, but I'm really glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment