Monday, April 1, 2013

White Bean Chili

Today's forecast called for rain and possibly snow, neither of which materialized--but it did get windy, which is as good of a reason as any to make soup!  Or, in this case, chili.
 
I decided years ago (after many attempts) that I don't much care for traditional, tomato-based chili.  But, I am a big fan of white chili.  I had seen this recipe go by as I flipped through the Vegan Cooking for Carnivores cookbook, and I finally made myself stop and take a closer look.  I was confounded because this recipe is in the entrĂ©e section of the book rather than in the soup section.  Clearly I am easily distracted.  I actually had to write it down so I'd remember to make it.
 
I've been concerned of late that I'm turning into a "junk food vegan," relying too heavily on fake meat, fake cheese and processed stuff that's no better than conventional junk food.  I'll worry about that later, as this recipe fulfills the junk food criteria I've just established.  And it's not cheap to make.  But tasty and satisfying, it is.

The only modification I'll make when making this again (and I will make it again), is to add less fake meat.  One package of Gardein chicken is plenty for my tastes.  This also makes a lot, so you'll have plenty of hearty leftovers.

Ingredients:
 
  • 2 tablespoons safflower or olive oil
  • 2 white onions, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 2 cans chopped green chiles
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • Four 14-ounce cans Great Northern white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 5 cups broth made from Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base or Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
  • Two 10-oz packages Gardein Chick’n Scallopini, defrosted and cubed
  • 3 cups shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 bunches green scallions, minced (set aside extra as a garnish)
In a large soup pot, saute the onions, garlic, green chiles, cumin, oregano, cayenne and salt and pepper in the oil until tender.  Then, add in the broth and beans and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and add in the Chick’n.  Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, then add in the vegan mozzarella.  Continue cooking until the mozzarella has melted and the chili becomes creamy.  Serve with a little extra minced scallion and mozzarella on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment