Sunday, June 23, 2013

Scrambled tofu

There was a time that those two words would send me scampering for the hills.  Even after going vegan, I was still very wary of tofu.  I think I had a bad experience one time trying to make a BBQ tofu sandwich.  That said, I still can't recall where and when I had my first serving of scrambled tofu, but I quickly became a convert.

In my pre-vegan days, I used to have a hard time eating eggs for breakfast.  Something about the consistency just made my stomach turn.  Oddly, though, I LOVED eggs for lunch or dinner.  Anyway, I'm pleased that I don't have that issue with scrambled tofu.  The only problem I've had is that I can't find a good recipe.  Or, I guess I should say that I haven't been able to make scrambled tofu at home that I like as much as what I can get at City 'O City or Sputnik.

Lo and behold, I found a recipe in My Beef With Meat that piqued my interest.  The Bouldin Creek Spicy Scramble.  Spicy and flavorful.  Jalapeno, Serrano, curry powder, nutritional yeast.  Really delicious.

Spicy scramble served up with a side of refried beans
 
 
The only caveat with this recipe is that you have to press the tofu to get out as much water as possible or the scramble will be gummy.  I haven't perfected this yet but it's even delicious in its gumminess.  It also makes a great filling for burritos.
 
I can't find a version of this recipe online yet and I am too lazy on this summer Sunday morning to type it up, do yourself a favor and get this book from the library, buy it or whatever you need to do so you can try this recipe.  While it won't supplant a trip to my favorite vegan breakfast/brunch haunts, I'm happy to have a decent option at the ready for home consumption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment